8890 4051 - 57


Insurance Claim

Report a Vehicle Insurance Claim

  1. Report to the nearest police station for investigation and secure a copy of the police investigation report.
  2. SUBMIT ALL THE REQUIRED DOCUMENTS either to the Home Office, branch or agency where you acquired your insurance.
  3. The outlet where you filed your documents shall assign your claim to the Company’s Technical Department for the inspection of the unit to determine the fair extent of damage sustained.
  5. The outlet where you filed your claim will inform you of the approved amount of claim and the amount of your participation in betterments. This will be done either by:
    • Letter of Authority (LOA) addressed to the shop which will undertake the repair, or
    • Cash Settlement
  6. Important Reminders
    Never have your unit repaired without approval of the Company’s Claims Division. This is a ground for denial of claim.
    In case insured unit is disabled, assured is required to make arrangements for safekeeping of the insured unit, as stated in your policy.
    We strongly suggest that the photocopies of the first five general requirements be readily available (preferably inside the glove compartment of your car).
    Make sure that you and your driver is in possession of a valid Driver’s License with the applicable restriction code stated therein.

  • Complete photocopy of the face of the Policy Contract and Policy Schedule
  • Photocopy of the Official Receipt (OR) of premium payment
  • Photocopy of Endorsement (if any)
  • Photocopy of Car Registration and Motor Vehicle Registration Receipt
  • Photocopy of Driver’s License and OR
  • Police Report
  • Affidavit of the driver (if the circumstances are not clear in the police report)
  • Pictures showing the extent of damage of the unit and plate no.
  • Stencils of motor and serial numbers

For Total Loss

  • Purchase Invoice/Delivery Receipt
  • Outstanding balance from the bank (if mortgaged)

For Carnap

  • Complaint Sheet
  • Alarm Sheet
  • Original Keys
  • Purchase Invoice/ Delivery Receipt

For Third Party Property Damage

  • Insurance Policy of the Third Party
  • Car Registration and Official Receipt of the Third Party
  • Driver’s License and Official Receipt of the Third Party
  • Certificate of No Claim from Third Party Insurer
  • Stencil of Motor and Chassis Number of Insured and Third Party vehicles
  • Colored pictures (if available)
  • Estimates (if available)

For Third Party Other Than Vehicle

  • Colored pictures of the damaged property
  • Estimated cost of repairs of the damaged property
  • Proof of ownership
  • Stencil of Motor and Chassis Number of insured vehicle
  • For Third Party Bodily Injury
  • Medical Certificate
  • Receipts of Medicine
  • Hospital Bills
  • Birth Certificate (if minor)
  • Stencil of Motor and Chassis Number of Insured Vehicle
  • For Third Party Death
  • Death Certificate certified or authenticated copy
  • Funeral Receipts
  • Marriage Contract (if married) certified or authenticated copy
  • Birth Certificate (if minor or single) certified or authenticated copy
  • Stencil of Motor and Chassis Number of Insured Vehicle

Need help on the road? No Sweat.

Immediately call our Roadside Assistance. We will dispatch the nearest service provider to assist you.

  • All approved private vehicles not more than 10 years are automatically enrolled in our roadside assistance program.
  • In case of an emergency you can be assured that our professional handlers will assist you 24/7 – immediately call (02) 8-6878598.

Stay Calm and follow these steps.

  • Seek the assistance of Police or persons of authority.
  • Bring your damaged car to the nearest PBAC accredited motor shop and secure a repair estimate.
  • Submit all the required claim documents.

To safely jump a start first thing you need to do is make connections.

  • Take out your jumper cables.
  • Place both vehicles in Park or Neutral and shut off the ignition in both cars.
  • Attach one of the red clips to the positive terminal of your battery.
  • Attach the other red clip to the positive terminal of the other car.
  • Attach one of the black clips to the negative terminal on the other battery.
  • Attach the last black clip to an unpainted metal surface on your car that isn’t near the battery.
  • Start the working vehicle and let the engine run for a few minutes.
  • Try to start your vehicle.

Call the police immediately to report carnapping incident and comply with the following steps

  • Call the authorities and report the carnapping incident to the police station nearest you.
  • Submit pertinent documents to prove ownership of vehicle the soonest possible time
  • Proceed to Camp Crame and get a copy of the Alarm Sheet prepared by the police station to the Traffic Management
  • Inform PBAC of the incident and submit all the necessary documents.

File a third party claim against the driver’s car insurance company for payment of your medical bills and other damages.

  • Ensure safety of everyone involved in the accident.
  • Get a police report and take photos of the damages.
  • Get all the pertinent info of all the passengers of the other vehicle.
  • Don’t move the vehicle at the point of contact until properly documented and pictures taken.

    Get in touch!
    • Name:

    • Address:

    • Email:

    • Contact Number:

    • Message: